Recently we have been talking a lot about the dangerous and even fatal repercussions of driving and texting. We have spoken about a teenager who was distracted by his phone and killed a pedestrian on a Saturday night. Last time, we spoke about how one study conducted by Car and Driver magazine showed that texting and driving is more dangerous than drinking and driving. The study showed that the drivers’ reaction times were slower while texting and driving than the drivers’ reaction times were while impaired. Obviously, the combination is not safe. Stein Law Bronx injury attorneys understand these types of cases and how to handle them.
Today, we report another example that demonstrates the deadly consequences of texting and driving. Last week a 6-month-old infant was killed in a car accident in Washington state that was caused by texting and driving. Tragically, the young baby was the only fatally and the rest of the infant’s family members walked away from the crash unscathed. Again, the worst part of the fatal accident is that it was completely preventable. Investigators that attended the crash say the number of drivers’ texting and driving continues to increase. Police warn drivers that they will “dig into” drivers’ phone records to prove phone use at the time of accidents.
The car accident that killed the 6-month old occurred at an intersection regulated by a stoplight. The family’s vehicle was stopped at the light and a driver in an SUV smashed into the stopped car. The infant was seated in the back seat and was closest to the point of impact. The 6-month old suffered a bruised windpipe and fractured skull. The child died a few days later. The driver of the SUV denied texting while driving until officers informed him they would subpoena his records. Commenting on the car accident, an officer said, “There’s nothing that important that you can’t stop for 2 seconds to make that call or send a text.”
Flint, MI car accident attorneys are ready and willing to assist with any car accident claim you might have. Don’t forget to contact an attorney today to receive help with your claim!
As we have discussed over the last two weeks, distracted driving is a significant cause of car accidents and that taking your eye off of the road for what seems like only a few seconds can have catastrophic consequences. Distracted drivers though are no longer the only targets of distracted road use, lawmakers in two states want to also confront distracted pedestrians. The proposed laws would ban the use of cell phones, music players and other electronic devices by non-motor vehicle users of the road.
According to the Governors Highway Safety Association, pedestrians account for around 12 percent of fatal car accidents in the United States. While the majority of states have laws against texting while driving, similar laws for pedestrians are practically unheard of. Lawmakers in Arkansas and New York may be starting a trend. A proposed law in Arkansas would prevent pedestrians, runners and bicyclists from using headphones on both ears while in proximity of any roadway. The state lawmaker that proposed the bill said the point was to make sure that all users of the road are aware of their surroundings.
In the Northeast, lawmakers in New York have been trying to pass a distracted pedestrian law since 2007. The proposed law there would prevent pedestrians from using cell phones, music players or any other electronic gadget while crossing the street in a city with a population of 1 million or more. A state lawmaker that represents a district in Brooklyn said that he has seen far too many pedestrians get into car accidents because they were “wired up” and not paying attention to the scene around them. The state lawmaker argues that a distracted pedestrian law is no different than a distracted driver law. While it is not clear whether distracted pedestrian laws will take off around the country, all users of the road should strive to be aware.
Accident attorneys in Ohio are trained to handle a myriad of different car accidents and their causes. Don’t be afraid to contact an attorney today!
Last week we discussed the fatal tour bus accident that occurred in New York City and killed 15 people. On Monday evening another tour bus accident occurred in Littleton, Vermont near the Vermont and Quebec, Canada border. The commercial accident was the third bus accident to occur in less than two weeks. The bus accident injured 23 people and no people were killed. Investigators have interviewed the driver and have not ruled out palm beach criminal charges.
The tour bus was traveling from Quebec to Boston and was carrying two dozen Korean passengers. The driver of the bus lost control on Interstate 93 near the Vermont border with Canada around 8:15 p.m. During the evening light snow was on the ground in the area, which also caused sporadic fog. Passengers that were on the bus were thankfully able to complete their trip the following day.
According to police five passengers were seriously injured and were taken to a local hospital. Eighteen other people were treated for lesser and minor injuries. The bus driver’s history is being reviewed by authorities but authorities have not made any conclusions at this point.
The bus accident was the third serious bus accident to occur in the Northeast over the last two weeks. The first serious and fatal bus accident occurred on March 12 and killed 15 people in New York, and the second accident occurred in New Jersey . The fatal bus accident in New Jersey occurred last week and happened as the bus was traveling from New York’s Chinatown to Philadelphia. The driver and a passenger were killed in the New Jersey crash. Twelve other passengers were injured. Contact Personal injury Umansky Law for more information about Personal injury law and other types of law.
Because of the series of crashes and amid safety concerns, New York officials throughout the state pulled tour buses over at random checkpoints over the weekend.
In 2010, the Florida legislature passed a law reforming the state’s slip and fall laws right after new truck accident laws. Unfortunately, some argue, the new law places a higher burden on victims to prove their case.
In 2001, the Florida court ruled that if a foreign object found on the floor of a business causes a patron to fall and sustain injuries, then the condition is presumed unsafe because the owner failed to maintain the premises in a reasonably safe condition.
Last year, however, the Florida legislature passed a new law, essentially overruling the court’s 2001 decision. The revised law, seemingly favoring pro-business, now requires the injured plaintiff prove that the business owner was aware of the foreign object or hazardous condition and that the owner failed to correct the problem.
It remains to be seen whether the new law will hinder a plaintiff’s ability or the attorney’s to recover for a slip and fall injury in Oregon. Daniel Setareh lawyer Beverly Hills is available to assist in similar cases.
The law took effect July 1, 2010, but will apply only to actions that occur on or after that date.
A Flushing fatal hit-and-run car accident occurred in Manatee County, Florida on Saturday. The accident killed a 15-year-old boy and broke the leg of the young teenager’s 16-year-old friend. The two teenage boys were skateboarding back to their homes at the time of the accident and the driver of the vehicle fled the scene of the accident. Fortunately, the Florida Highway Patrol pieced together clues from the accident scene and was able to locate the whereabouts of the driver.
The fatal accident happened around 10:15 p.m. Saturday night as the teenagers were skateboarding down Whitfield Avenue in south Manatee County. An SUV hit the teenage boys and fled the scene of the accident. On Sunday investigators with the Florida Highway Patrol obtained fragments of the SUV that were left behind at the scene of the accident. The investigators then took those fragments to a used-car dealership where they were able to determine the fragments came from a GMC Envoy.
The investigators set out on a search for a GMC Envoy and discovered an Envoy parked in a driveway less than one mile from the accident scene. The SUV had substantial damage to its front and there appeared to be blood on the underneath part of the chassis. Investigators then saw a woman resting on her back porch and asked her about the vehicle. At first the woman explained she had hit a mailbox but then admitted she hit the teenagers when officers read her Miranda rights.
The woman said she had been traveling 40 miles per hour when car accident occurred, and she did not offer a reason why she did not stop. The woman was arrested on two charges. One charge was for the felony count of leaving the scene of a crash with a fatality. The 16-year-old boy that survived the crash had to have a metal rod inserted into his broken leg in order to stabilize it. hilleltraubBaltimore lawyer is available to assist in similar cases.